scientific edition of Bauman MSTU
SCIENCE & EDUCATION
Bauman Moscow State Technical University. El № FS 77 - 48211. ISSN 1994-0408
In Memory of Oliver Heaviside (1850 – 1925)
# 02, February 2015
Article file: Heaviside.pdf (1870.24Kb)
A brief overview of the main achievements of Oliver Heaviside eminent British scientist, engineer, mathe-matician and physicist, first applied to the study of complex numbers of electrical circuits and developed a technique of application of the Laplace transform to solve differential equations. Heaviside reformulated Maxwell's equations in terms of the vector of the electromagnetic field, the electric and magnetic inductions, developed a theory of communication lines, known as the "telegrapher's equations", and developed the idea of the ionosphere, predictions, head of existence it reflects radio waves layer. Provides information about the parents Heaviside, interesting facts from his life and work, details of self-interest in mathematics and physics, as well as the history of communication theory and electrodynamics connected with investments in this area James Maxwell. Oliver Heaviside was a member of the Royal Society of Great Britain and the first of the Faraday Medal awarded the London Institute of Electrical Engineers.
1. Bolotovskii P.P. Оliver Khеvisaid (1850 – 1925) [Oliver Heaviside]. М.: Nauka, 1985. – 260 p.: ill.
2. Paul J. Nahin. Oliver Heaviside.// Scientific American. – June 1990, p. 80-87. Available at: http://vivovoco.astronet.ru/VV/JOURNAL/SCIAM/HEAVI/HEAVISIDE.HTM, accessed 22.02.2015.
3. V.P. Samokhin, K.V. Meshcherinova. Na zare radiokommunikatsii [At the dawn of radio communications]// Nauka i obrazovanie MGTU im. N.E. Baumana [Science and Education of the Bauman MSTU], 2013, no. 7. Available at: http://technomag.bmstu.ru/doc/603624.html, accessed 22.02.2015.
4. V.P. Samokhin. Pamiati Aleksandra Bella [In memory of Alexander Graham Bell]// Nauka i obrazovanie MGTU im. N.E. Baumana [Science and Education of the Bauman MSTU], 2012, no. 2. Available at: http://technomag.edu.ru/doc/347553.html, accessed 22.02.2015.
5. V.P. Samokhin. Pamiati Gulielmo Markoni [In memory of Gulielmo Marconi]// Nauka i obrazovanie MGTU im. N.E. Baumana [Science and Education of the Bauman MSTU], 2012, no. 7. Available at: http://technomag.edu.ru/doc/428496.html, accessed 22.02.2015.
6. The Heaviside Memorial Project // Newcastle University, 2014. Availableat: http://www.heavisidememorialproject.co.uk/Oliver-Heaviside, accessed 22.02.2015.
Publications with keywords: telegraph, phone, William Thomson, Oliver Heaviside, Charles Wheatstone, James Maxwell, Oliver Lodge, George Frederick Searle, Heaviside layer
Publications with words: telegraph, phone, William Thomson, Oliver Heaviside, Charles Wheatstone, James Maxwell, Oliver Lodge, George Frederick Searle, Heaviside layer